Sunday, March 17, 2013

4 Days 5 Kids

So far this week (2 pm on 17 March) we have had 3 does give us 5 kids.
I need to be specific, because you never know what is happening out there.
The one we thought would be first still hasn't had her babies.
So we just go with the flow and check every few hours.

Sunny's kids Rhubarb (buck) and Apple (doe) were born on Thursday, the 14th, Pi day.
Rose had her girls on Friday.
Tulip had her boy on Saturday.

Here are the first four getting some sun on Saturday morning.


Below we have Little Bit and Lucy both does born to Rose.
When they were born, Rose knew she didn't have enough milk for both of them. Probably for neither of them and if she could only save one Little Bit is the one that she had decided to let go.
When I saw she had them out in the yard and that there was going to be some trouble, I put them all in the goat house and closed the doors to keep everybody else out. Then I spent some time making sure Rose knew they were her babies, she was cleaning them both so I went in the house to give them a bit of time. My hope was that her milk would drop and everything would be fine when I got back. I had an idea that I better bring a bottle out just in case though. 
When I got back to the goat house I found Little Bit pushed into a corner, cold and wet, while Rose and Lucy were on the other side of the barn. I wrapped Little Bit up in a towel, got her to drink some from the bottle, and rubbed to dry her. When I had that all accomplished and Rose seemed to have accepted her again. I left them alone to see if they would finally get the problem solved.
A little while later FabHub got home from a school function and went out to check on them again. Little Bit was standing up and seemed to be in good enough shape to live until morning anyway.
Two days later Rose is still letting them try to eat, but we are giving them bottles too. Looks like we might have travel companions for Easter. Maybe Aunt Rose would like to feed thebabies while she and Uncle Harold are at Mom's house.

This is Tulip's buck baby. Inspiration just hit me for his name.
My sister said her son Garrett would name him Fred, just like his bull and horse.
So Fred it is! 
He and Sunny's babies are hiding in the "safe place" under the building.
It seems to be instinctive for them to go where they can't get stepped on.

There wasn't any real drama to Fred's birth.
Just that he was born up on the hill where there is no shelter or water.
I carried him down the hill with Tulip complaining the whole way.

Well that is all we have so far today. But 4 pm is coming.
We will see what happens after the girls get their dinner.
We have little Violet, big Violet, and Flower left for this round.
We expect Daisy will be a month from now.
Daffodil and Salvia are with Tyson now and will probably have fall babies.
This place is full of excitement lately.
Have you heard about the feathers?

No comments:

Post a Comment